Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Regression by Dream Theater

Officially titled Act 1 - Scene One:Regression, the song is the 1st track of the highly ambitious "Metropolis Pt. 2:Scenes From A Memory" album. I won't claim that I'm very familiar with the story of this album and the 1st part of the Metropolis Series, but what i can say is that this song blew my mind and opened a many musical territories that I've never explored before.

I encountered the song when a friend of Augy, Francis (Kiko) brought a pirated copy of this album on our home during one of their drinking sessions. Although it's very entertaining to listen to their college exploits, I was really looking forward to taking a glimpse of what the album had to offer. Unfortunately I had to buy an original copy 1st, before any glimpsing is to be done, as the pirated copy was not in tiptop shape when i chanced by it. Never did I regret buying that album.

This song was a fitting introduction for me to the world of Progressive Rock and Concept Albums. Fuckin' A!


"Close your eyes and begin to relax. Take a deep breath, and let it out slowly.
Concentrate on your breathing. With each breath you become more relaxed.
Imagine a brilliant white light above you, focusing on this light as it flows through your body.
Allow yourself to drift off as you fall deeper and deeper into a more relaxed state of mind.
Now as I count backward from ten to one, you will feel more peaceful, and calm.
Ten.
Nine.
Eight.
Seven.
Six. You will enter a safe place where nothing can harm you.
Five.
Four.
Three.
Two. If at any time you need to come back,all
you must do is open your eyes.
One."



Safe in the light that surrounds me
Free of the fear and the pain
My subconscious mind
Starts spinning through time
To rejoin the past once again

Nothing seems real
I'm starting to feel
Lost in the haze of a dream

And as I draw near
The scene becomes clear
Like watching my life on a screen

Hello Victoria so glad to see you
My friend.

Note:
1. Progressive rock, sometimes shortened to "prog rock" or "prog", is a form of rock music that evolved in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Progressive rock compositions are often more elaborate than the standard rock or popular verse-chorus based song structures, and the arrangements often incorporate elements drawn from classical, jazz and avant-garde music. Songs with lyrics are sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy.
2. Concept album, in popular music, is an album which is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical"
Facts gathered from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page)

No comments: