Friday, August 02, 2013

Tomorrow Never Knows by the Beatles

For as long as I can remember, I've been a Beatles fan. This was because of the fact that my father liked the Beatles and most cassette tapes available are albums by the Beatles. 

Revolver stands out for me. This was because from the eyes of the kid version of myself, the album cover has a drawing of a fuzzy mountain and hairy armpits.  I think I was already in college when I realized that the cover actually showed an illustrated version of John, Paul, George and Ringo's face.

For this week, this song has been stuck in my head. Maybe because I'm currently reading Bob Spitz's The Beatles book for my night reading. I won't be ashamed of the fact that I didn't know this song's title before. I previously thought that Tomorrow Never Knows would be nostalgic or romantic. I just now have come to grips that that's the title of one of the most evolutionary songs the Beatles ever came up with.





Turn off your mind relax and float down stream
It is not dying
It is not dying

Lay down all thoughts,
surrender to the void,
It is shining
It is shining.

Yet you may see the meaning of within
It is being
It is being

Love is all and love is everyone
It is knowing
It is knowing

And ignorance and hate, they mourn the dead
It is believing
It is believing

But listen to the colour of your dreams
It is not leaving
It is not leaving

So play the game "Existence" to the end
Of the beginning
Of the beginning

No comments: