Monday, January 04, 2010

Never the Bright Lights by Violent Playground

I'll be honest... I only found about this song by listening to Rivermaya's cover album, Isang Ugat, Isang Dugo. Thinking it was a song that was made in the 80's* (as most of the songs in the album were), I was surprised that it came from a band whose album I've seen for quite some time already but never bothered in buying.

Right now I've been listening to a lot of local bands and have found these treasure of songs! I was happy I was able to buy the Primordial Soup album for the new year.

My favorite part of the song is when the singer sings the title.


I see the people walking down the streets at night
And they all look like they long for a fight
It's like a dream where everybody is for sale
In a country where there angry and the sky is pale
We always want something more, then we want it all
So you can go back to your life, if that's what is called
It's such a terrible fate to be young and ugly
To be faced by so much uncertainty
You'd better keep your sanity

Bright lights go up
Big city come down

All this confusion gives you notions of self destruction
So you think of something that may keep us together
He may be black, he may be white
But they don't need to fight
In a city where there's too much violence already
Look at the sky it's dirty, and it's gray and filthy
And today looks just like yesterday
You ask yourself how long can a bad thing last
When we are sodden to our knees with so much strife
They say it's meant to change your life

I see the people walking down the street at night
And they all look like they long for a fight
Just like the old man said: "What are you gonna do with your life?"
Never the bright lights

*Note: just found out that the song was indeed from the 80's but was rerecorded in the 90's for this album.

No comments: