Saturday, December 08, 2007

Preacher's Daughter by The Refreshments

Well i had a hard pressed as to what song I should write about this band, The Refreshments. Coming from Arizona, USA, the same breeding ground for the Gin Blossoms (you would actually hear some similarities between the two) my encounter with the band started buying from a MCA CD music sale at Ortigas. There was a section marked as "library copies" and they we're rather priced cheap, 100pesos, and I was in a mood of trying out music I was unfamiliar with.

I was able to grab a promotional copy of the Bottle & Fresh Horses. I was not familiar with the music and i took the chance of buying the album based on the band's name and the cover art. This turned out to be the best steals of my life.

Preacher's Daughter is very Gin Blossomy. It also has an angry edge in it with the vocalist's (Roger Clyne) emotion poured in! Damnit! This song's just off the hook! The guitar let's the drum beats breathe... and also has a great build-up to the guitar solo!

The album inspired me to take risks at the unknown... if only i could apply that in other parts of my so-called life.



I was born in the thirsty eath
Showed up in Tuscon, fresh out of Leavenworth
Did my time on stale bread and dirty water
Nobody told me that the lady was preacher's daughter

Yeah how her arms would hold me
When we kissed, she never told me
Lamb for a slaughter
Yeah, she's my preacher's daughter

Cut loose from my incarceration
Paid a visit to her Daddy's congregation
Welcome home she said, your lookin' good too
Meet my new husband, he's the sheriff who arrested you

Yeah how her arms would holds me
When we kissed, she never told me
Lamb for a slaughter
'Cause She's my preacher's daughter

YEAH

So I said my congratulations
Before I lost myself to my infatuations
I stole a kiss or two just havin' fun again
Sheriff don't like it
Now I'm back on the run again

How her arms would hold me
When we kissed, she never told me
Lamb for a slaughter
Like the desert needs its water
Give me back my preacher's daughter
Preacher's daughter
Preacher's daughter
Preacher's daughter
YEAH

No comments: